With a new capitalist approach that’s emerge over the last few decades, Hong Kong has become a hotbed for tech activity, attracting more than just the local workforce. There is a huge demand for tech skills brewing. Tech number one in demand skill in Hong Kong is software developers. Other top roles includes those who have skills in designing brilliant UI/UX and customer service experiences.
If you can bring the creativity and some technical experience, Hong Kong will gladly welcome you! And you will be rewarded. Salaries are expected to increase by 5% within the next year. Nonetheless, having Chinese business experience under your belt, no matter where you’re from, is a huge boost to your resume.
So, if you’re ready for a completely different living and professional experience in a city with one of the most interesting cultures, take a look at which options are best for you:
Admission for Professionals:
To be eligible for admission as a professional into Hong Kong, there are some general guidelines:
- You must not have a criminal record.
- You must have a degree in your field.
- There must be vacancy for your job.
- You must secure an employment contract for a position related to your qualifications – search hiring Hong Kong employers here.
- Your offer must meet market standards in Hong Kong.
General Employment Policy:
If you meet the qualifications above, you may be able to enter Hong Kong under a General Employment Policy, the most common professional visa. Under this visa, you may also sponsor dependents including children under 18 and a spouse.
Total time for processing: 4 weeks
Here’s the process:
- Submit application form. Your employer will submit the other.
- You will also need to submit: recent passport photo, photocopy of your passport, proof of academic qualification.
- You will submit all of these documents at a local Chinese embassy while your employer submits theirs in China.
- You will pay a fee to begin processing – normally $190.
After your time expires, you may request an extension to continue living in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong is extremely supportive of foreign entrepreneurs wanting to invest in Hong Kong. The general qualifications to obtain a GEP visa as an entrepreneur are:
- Good educational background.
- Intention to make a big contribution to the Hong Kong economy.
Here are some of the factors that are considered:
- Validity of your business plan.
- How much you have invested.
- How new and innovative your technology/process is.
- The number of jobs you plan to create.
- Your financial resources.
- Your current revenue (if any).
You are significantly more likely to succeed with this visa if you plan to join one of Hong Kong’s government-backed incubators and programs such as InvestHK. This helps in finding a local sponsor for you and your company. Your sponsor must be a local resident over 18.
Processing time: 4 weeks.
Here’s the process:
- You submit an ID 999A form to a local embassy along with all documents.
- Your sponsor submits an lD 999B.
- You will pay your fee ($190-200) and wait 4 weeks for approval.
The documents you need to submit to a local embassy:
- Recent passport photo
- Proof of academic qualifications/work experience.
- Proof of financial stability (bank statements).
- Detailed 2 year business/investment plan.
- Photocopies of any business activity proof: contracts, financial reports, etc.
- Certificate of incorporation and business registration.
- Letter from government-backed program.
Once all documents are received and the fee is paid, you will have 4 weeks to wait for approval before you make your move! If you are being supported by a government-backed program, there will be a lot of help to get started.
Quality Migrant Admission Scheme:
If you have yet to secure a job offer, but still want to get started and settled into Hong Kong before you do so, you can enter on a QMAS visa. For this visa, you will need to prove your qualification and contribution with two points tests.
Before you test, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be over 18.
- Prove financial stability.
- No criminal record.
- Be proficient in Chinese or English.
- Good educational qualification.
- General Points Test: Check out how you do here. The minimum mark is 80. The factors at play here include age, academic or professional qualification, work experience, language, and family background.
- Achievement-Based Points Test: These are very rare, high qualifications. Just one will award you 195 points.
- Prove you meet prerequisites and pass points tests online. Submit this form.
- Selection exercises will determine where you stand in the quota.
- If you pass, you will be issued a Approval-in-Principle letter.
- If all your documentation is approved, you will be issued a visa.
Whether you’re looking to secure a long-term position in Hong Kong or want to explore your options after setting up a new life, there are plenty of ways Hong Kong will support you in beginning a new experience here. For professionals around the world, work experience in Hong Kong is both desirable and possible with the amount of opportunities available. Search all recently posted job opportunities that will sponsor at VisaOk.in to find the one right for you.