|at ( view profile)|
|Location||New York, NY|
|Date Posted||March 10, 2018|
United States - H1B Visa Jobs
Do you want to make a real impact in moving science forward?
Do you want to use your skills to help medical researchers tackle new challenges?
Genome sequencing has ushered in the era of precision medicine. The New York Genome Center generates about a petabyte of data per month, and this rate will only increase. The analysis of that data in the context of complex diseases requires a new generation of tools. We need you to help us build these tools.
We are building a novel genomics data repository with a web-based user interface. We are enabling exploration through interactive visualizations. Users can share results and analyze genomic data to correlate them with clinical data. Our audience are researchers, clinicians, genetic counselors, and—eventually—patients.
Your work will focus on the domain logic application. You will work closely with database engineers and the UI and visualization team.
Essential duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Collaborate with bioinformatics scientists, clinical researchers and other stakeholders to gather requirements;
- Help define architecture and design for the repository and visualization product;
- Create the application logic layer and APIs that connect the database and UI;
- Build and manage secure interfaces for access to restricted data;
- Assist with database functionality as needed;
- Assist with development of other parts of the project as requirements dictate.
We will make reasonable accommodations so individuals with disabilities can perform the essential functions. For qualified and eligible candidates, we can sponsor visas and provide a relocation package.
- BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience;
- Minimum of 6 years software engineering experience;
- Proficiency in Java;
- Knowledge of SQL;
- Experience developing and supporting production-quality software;
- The ability to produce readable, documented code, anticipating additions and changes and supporting modifiability and modularity;
- Interest and willingness to learn about genomics and the infrastructure requirements for supporting genomic sciences, and a desire to work on important projects (knowledge of genomics is not necessary);
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
Nice to have:
- MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field;
- Knowledge of UI frameworks (eg, REACT, Angular, D3) ;
- Experience as technical lead on production software projects;
- Experience with large data warehouse applications and big data; and
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and flexibility to work with changing requirements.
The New York Genome Center (NYGC) is an independent, non-profit organization that leverages the collaborative resources of leading academic medical centers, research universities, and commercial organizations. Our vision is to transform medical research and clinical care in New York and beyond through the creation of one of the largest genomics facilities in North America, integrating sequencing, bioinformatics, and data management, as well as performing cutting-edge genomics research.
The New York Genome Center is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. The New York Genome Center takes affirmative action in support of its policy to hire and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) United States - H1B Visa Jobs