|at ( view profile)|
|Location||Hinxton, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||March 12, 2018|
United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated Site Reliability Engineer to work at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The successful candidate will join the Software Development and Operations team (SDO) at EMBL-EBI which is responsible for bringing new technology into the EBI to improve the service provided to internal and external users and projects.
The SDO team is defining, building and delivering new services that will benefit both our internal users and the external scientific community. This role will be part of a team of DevOps engineers, who are responsible for building environments for:
- Support of file transfer services including GridFTP, Aspera, Globus, FTP, HTTP and rsync.
- A Continuous Integration and Deployment environment for our public web services to provide cloud portable applications.
- Deploying, integrating and operating a scalable and resilient web service hosting environment for our public services in collaboration with other teams within TSC.
- Maintenance and operation of internally and externally developed software as required.
The Senior Site Reliability Engineer position will contribute directly to one or more of these projects and will help us move to more automation of the production environment. The Senior SRE will help guide other members of the team and help with day to day prioritisation.
Qualifications and Experience
You will have a Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science or a related discipline, or have equivalent experience. The role would be suitable for a Unix/Linux systems administrator with some software engineering background.
As the role will involve liaising with different groups and users, it is essential that you have excellent communication, both written and verbal, and interpersonal skills in the English language. You should be able to pay attention to detail, demonstrate solid problem solving skills and have an experience and ability of working to deadlines. You will also demonstrate innovation and a willingness to take on new challenges.
You will have at least three years’ experience in a similar role, including successful deployment and maintenance of core services. In addition, you will have demonstrated experience of working 'full stack', integrating multiple open source tools to deploy web applications or other services in an academic or commercial setting. Experience in operating and resolving problems in open-source software and contributing development fixes back to the community would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in open-source software development (i.e. a variety of languages and version control systems) and in systems administration of open source software
- Experience with automated deployment/configuration methods (e.g. Ansible, Puppet)
- Experience with VM and/or container deployment in public or private cloud environments
- Experience mentoring less experienced colleagues and ability to plan and prioritise workloads
- Experience with large scale computing, storage or cloud infrastructures (e.g. HPC/HTC clusters)
- Experience in Python
- Experience evaluating open-source software and its subsequent integration to a production system
- Experience in Service definition and ITIL/FITSM
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs