|at ( view profile)|
|Location||The Rocks, Australia|
|Date Posted||April 16, 2018|
Australia - 457 Visa Jobs
IT Operations Engineer
What the role is all about…
At Epoch we’re evolving our operations architecture. IT Operations here is an engineering discipline where we are applying modern engineering practices to highly automate the IT Operations footprint. The role comes at a unique time, where the successful candidate can shape the evolution of Epoch’s operations infrastructure and processes and pioneer the adoption of current best practice.
We are looking for a hands-on IT Operations Engineer based in our Sydney office. Our operations engineers work in a small team, managing deployment, maintenance and changes to our trading infrastructure. Working in-concert with technologists and traders, they are the first point of contact for issues and own these all the way to completion. Our engineers are expected to work quickly and decisively in a wide variety of areas, from hardware and networking all the way through to supporting the trading stacks used by the desks. Epoch uses agile development techniques and is committed to DevOps practices.
Epoch are looking for candidates with deep knowledge in Linux and Linux server platforms, strong experience in automation and a desire to be part of the evolution of modern DevOps practices with Epoch. The successful candidate will be interested in trading and have proven experience in operating in a highly technical environment managing market and broker connectivity, trading applications, and optimised Linux server platforms. The candidate will be creative, have strong experience in automation and be able to write well structured scripts/code.
Epoch Capital require an excellent communicator, who is also a team player. They should excel in providing timely problem management/resolution in a technically challenging environment. A genuine passion and interest in IT and Finance and the ability to adapt quickly are essential for the role.
This role will be required to work in a shift system in order to cover support for US market hours.
This is a hands-on role in a fast-paced DevOps workplace. The successful candidate will have had exposure and experience of similar environments where they have thrived and made a demonstrable contribution to effective IT Operational excellence.
What your main responsibilities will be…
- Support and IT Operational management of our trading platforms
- Change/Incident/Problem management of Epoch’s trading applications
- The design, testing, and implementation of automated processes to improve the deployment, monitoring and operation of trading systems
- Specification and evaluation of new hardware platforms for trading desks
- Technical troubleshooting and problem diagnosis
- Act as the point of contact for all IT related technical issues reported. Problem escalation to external vendors, service providers or internal teams as required. Ownership of technical problems until final resolution
- Effective communication of scheduled maintenance activities and unexpected outages.
These are the essential skills you need…
- Detailed understanding of modern x64 based server hardware and the Linux operating system that runs on it
- Experience with DevOps tooling: containers, automation, monitoring tools etc.
- Experience working with agile development teams
- Advanced Linux skills
- Programming skills (linux shell script and Python preferred)
- Network troubleshooting. Understand TCP, UDP, basic DNS, DHCP and other internet protocols
- Demonstrable experience in effective time management whilst handling multiple projects
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively as a senior member of a globally distributed support team
Ideally, you have the following qualifications and experience…
- BSc degree in any engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role, ideally in a financial sector
If you also had these skills, it would be an added bonus…
- Experience with 3rd party vendor trading applications: TT, CQG, RTS, ORC, OT
- Experience with remote access technologies, VPN, IPSec, two-factor authentication
- Experience with market data providers: Reuters or Bloomberg
- Experience with gdb, capable of interpreting a stack trace
- Expertise in storage options
- Experience operating systems in AWS or other cloud platforms
Introduce candidates to how you operate:
Our fiercest competitor is ourselves. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today. People join because of our exciting, vibrant environment and stay for our addictive culture. To be a part of this team you should enjoy working in a fast paced environment and solving challenging problems with like minded people.
Tell us what makes your company special:
We believe that continually improving ourselves and the way we work is what keeps us ahead of the game. Even though we are well established, we’ve never lost our startup, go get ‘em attitude. This means we’re always trying new things in the pursuit of continually breaking our own performance records. Being nimble allows us to adapt easily to changes in the market, with an open floor for all to suggest improvements and innovations.
About the company:
We’re a proprietary trading firm formed by a world class team of portfolio managers, traders, developers, quants and operational staff. Since 2007, our success has been built on seizing opportunities that are hard to predict, leading us to create a diversified portfolio of trading strategies. Our strategy portfolio ranges from market-making and statistical arbitrage to long-short global equities, with multiple strategies that hold in excess $1bn capacity in assets under management (AUM). Taking a systematic approach to the markets, our traders use bespoke, innovative systems to deploy our company capital, generating returns much greater than those achievable in other areas of finance.
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) Australia - 457 Visa Jobs