|Location||Hinxton, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||May 11, 2018|
United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs
We are seeking to recruit a Bioinformatician/Software Engineer to join the Protein function development team at the EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI) located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. This team is responsible for major international protein sequence resources including the Universal Protein resource (UniProt).
You will be working specifically within data production group that is responsible for scheduling, producing and release UniProt data monthly. This is a dynamic, challenging environment, provides an excellent opportunity to handle and organise large-scale complex biological data; observe emerging trends and methods from forefront and be part of working within an international environment. The primary responsibilities include:
- Design and develop new data production pipelines for biological databases in the Protein Function development team
- Maintain and optimise existing production pipeline scripts and software modules
- Organise, execute, monitor, and troubleshoot production procedures on daily basis in synchronisation with other staff members
- Assess new technologies and methods to improve database production environment
- Evaluate and develop pipelines for importing new data sources
- Maintain and ensure highest quality and consistency of the data throughout data production
- Evaluate and propose solutions to biological challenges within data production
- Communicate and coordinate production work with UniProt Consortium members, software developers, and biologists involved in the database release cycle
- Minimum 2 years or adequate demonstrable experience in working with biological data and writing complex code
- Masters or higher degree in bioinformatics or computer science
- Good understanding and/or interest of biological data
- Strong programming skills: Bash, Perl, Python
- Strong knowledge of SQL: Oracle, PostgreSQL
- Comfortable operating in a Unix/Linux environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills with an ability to understand, debug and fix both data and production code
- Work under pressure to complete production tasks within specified deadlines
- Work independently or with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiastic to learn and help the scientific community
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs