|at ( view profile)|
|Location||Hinxton, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||July 10, 2018|
United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs
The Genomics Technology Infrastructure team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) seeks an experienced web developer to work in a team developing and delivering web interfaces supporting data visualisation for the Ensembl family of web sites. These are a highly valued scientific resource that support biological research worldwide.
Big data management and dissemination is one of the most important biological information problems in genomics. The Ensembl infrastructure provides access to over 40,000 genomes served from one of the world's largest computer resources for genomic analysis, developing Open Source software. Thousands of scientists worldwide depend on access to these data to help their research.
You will be working within the Ensembl team, which is composed of over 70 people including web developers, designers, trainers, engineers, annotators and researchers to develop novel and scalable visualisations for genomic data using cutting edge web technology in a fast-moving domain. The Ensembl platform provides access to over 40,000 genomes served from one of the world's largest computer resources for genomic analysis. We develop open source software which, along with our data, is available to all without restriction. Thousands of scientists worldwide depend on access to these data and software to aid their research and push our understanding of the genome. Genomics is one of the fastest growing areas of science with the ability to deliver advances in human health, food security and in an aging population.
You will become part of the Ensembl Front-End web development team and participate on our project to build a next-generation website for genome data. Your responsibilities would include:
- Working to create our next-generation website including a new client-side genome browser
- Developing novel visualisations for genomic data
- Working closely with our in-house designer to define and implement visualisations
- Collaboration with our outreach team to engage in user interviews and user centric design during the design and implementation of the platform
- Contributing to the service delivery of the Ensembl sites
- Continuing development and maintenance of our existing website infrastructure
- Working closely with other members of Ensembl front-end web development and the wider teams in Ensembl, for example data production teams, and other groups across EMBL-EBI
Required qualifications and experience:
- a masters level qualification or similar practical experience in computer science, bioinformatics or related subjects;
- at least 4 years of experience developing web interfaces and be able to demonstrate this experience through examples of your work;
- highly self-motivated and be able to work independently;
- excellent English communication skills, written and verbal, both to facilitate effective communications with other team members and to communicate with external collaborators and users;
- attention to detail, be capable of delivering to deadlines, be able to delegate and to prioritise tasks;
- 2+ years of working in the React web framework;
- Working knowledge of a scripting language such as Python, Perl, Ruby or PHP;
- Be able to use modern software development tools including Git and GitHub.
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Experience of working in a larger software development team with a shared code;
- Knowledge of other web libraries e.g. d3.js, WebGL, Pixie, Bower;
- Experience of web security authentication and authorisation standards e.g. OAuth 2.0, HTTPS;
- Experience of web UI development methodologies including using analytics, logs, speed regression testing and UX design methodologies;
- Experience of agile development methods;
- The Linux command line and common Linux commands.
Knowledge of biology/biochemistry/genomics would be advantageous but not essential.
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs