|Date Posted||August 7, 2018|
European Union - EU Blue Card Jobs
Germany - Residence Permit Visa Jobs
The product: A sophisticated query engine
We are building a sophisticated OLAP/SQL query engine for advanced analytics, accessing data from many different data sources (RDBMS's, Hive, Impala, Druid, Elasticsearch and others). The query engine is written in Scala and builds on Apache Calcite. We are planning to open-source it during the course of this year with the goal of making it an Apache project eventually.
Scala, Java, Apache Calcite, Apache Spark
The project involves working with many interesting concepts related to data processing and querying such as query parsing and validation, relational algebra, creation of logical and physical plans and adapters to different database and execution engines. Your work will also involve participation in the communities of and development of contributions to Calcite and other open-source libraries we use.
Being fluent in Java and Scala is a must.
We highly appreciate experience in:
- Open source projects, especially those by the Apache foundation
- SQL & OLAP-type query planning & optimisation
- Relational algebra as a foundation for relational databases
- Database adapters (both sql & no-sql)
How we work
- We strongly believe in the importance of uninterrupted time to get stuff done and quality over quantity when it comes to working hours. We prefer to keep our schedule meeting-light and work in a library-like atmosphere during the core hours.
- We believe the ability to give and get constructive feedback and express divergent ideas is crucial to make innovation come to life. We live a very open discussion culture and prefer the evaluation of ideas based on merit over top-down decision making.
- We strongly believe in ownership of one's features, from spec to implementation to operation. We also understand that ownership comes with a sense of responsibility towards others that depend on the results of our work.
- We believe that everybody should be able to find meaning in their work. We match assignments based on both ability and individual interests and discuss your progress and individual needs every 3 months.
- We don't see people as "resources" and genuinely care about each other. We also understand that there's more than fancy perks and cool events to people's satisfaction and engagement. We continuously work towards an environment providing a lot of autonomy, transparency and development opportunities and rely on everybody's feedback to hold us accountable for maintaining our high standards.
We see the interview process as a mutual opportunity to get to know each other — at eye level. That's why we always strive to respond within hours, not weeks.
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) European Union - EU Blue Card Jobs
2) Germany - Residence Permit Visa Jobs