|Date Posted||September 8, 2018|
United States - H1B Visa Jobs
The API Services team is responsible for engineering and delivering cutting-edge services to aide in content delivery to end customers. These services support 110 news brands, and more than 110 million unique monthly visitors.
The Principal Data Engineer will play a key role in architecting, developing and maintaining the data architecture for Gannett's new Content Platform that supports the content production & delivery systems that are consumed by both our network of 3000 journalists & our customer facing products. You will be expected to design & consume large scale, fault tolerant and highly available architectures. A large part of your role will be forward looking, with an emphasis on optimizing content structures & relationships.If you have a passion for rapid development, automation, learning, challenging and bettering your peers, with a strong desire to operate in a full stack environment, you'd probably fit in well here.
- Collaborate with stakeholders & developers to identify data needs & ideal implementation.
- Contribute to the architecture and vision of Gannett's content data pipeline.
- Track record of evolving complex data environments.
- Continuously evaluate data usage patterns and identify areas of improvement.
- Interface closely with data scientists and engineering to ensure reliability and scalability of data environment.
- Drive future state technologies, designs and ideas across the organization.
- Provide planning for two-week sprints.
- Provide day to day operational support for our applications.
- Improve and establish best practice around our application and infrastructure monitoring.
- Containerizing applications with Docker
- Scripting new solutions/APIs/services to reduce toil
- Research new tools to optimize cost, deployment speed and resource usage
- Assist in improving our onboarding structure and documentation.
- 30% - Data architecture design / review
- 20% - Mentoring
- 15% - Application Support
- 15% - Planning / Documentation
- 10% - Design applications / recommendations / poc
- 10% - New Technology Evaluation
- Elastic Search
- Other NoSQL Databases
Exciting things you get to do:
- Engineering high-performant applications with an emphasis on concurrency
- Amazon Web Services, Google Compute Engine
- Google DataStore, Spanner, DynamoDB
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Database testing
- Monitoring with NewRelic
- Deep experience in ETL design, schema design and dimensional data modeling.
- Ability to match business requirements to technical ETL design and data infrastructure needs.
- Experience using search technologies like Elasticsearch and Solr and designing the integration of search with a persistent data store.
- Deep understanding of data normalization methodologies.
- Deep understanding of both Relational and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with data solutions like Hadoop, Teradata, Oracle.
- Proven expertise with query languages such as SQL, T-SQL, NRQL, solr querying.
- Self-Starter that can operate in a remote-friendly environment.
- Experience with Agile (Scrum) and test driven development, continuous integration and version control (GIT).
- Experience deploying to Cloud compute or container hosting.
- Experience working with data modeling tools.
- Basic understanding of REST APIs, SDKs and CLI toolsets.
- Understanding of web technologies.
- Experience with Data in a media industry is a plus.
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) United States - H1B Visa Jobs