|at ( view profile)|
|Location||Hinxton, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||November 28, 2018|
United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs
We are seeking to recruit an experienced ‘cloud-native’ DevOps Engineer to develop and deploy ‘big data’ discovery, management and transfer solutions to run scientific workloads in multiple cloud infrastructures. We want you to apply your cloud-native experience to help drive our approach in moving scientific applications to the cloud. You should already have experience in using cloud technologies and be interested in learning about a new application domain – no prior life-science experience needed!
The successful candidate will join the Technology and Science Integration Team led by Steven Newhouse at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. EMBL-EBI is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory and a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation.
As part of its diverse IT service portfolio, EMBL-EBI operates a mixed VMware and OpenStack based virtualised cloud environment which is available for both internal and collaborative use. Our OpenStack based EMBL-EBI Embassy Cloud Infrastructure has over 6000 vCPUs and 4.5PB of storage. Docker Enterprise Edition has been deployed to provide a ‘Container as a Service’ capability to host services and analyse data. Through our cloud procurement and our participation in external projects, you will have access to a diverse range of cloud environments to work within.
The Cloud DevOps Engineer will support external and internal teams within EMBL-EBI by providing consultancy, practical advice and support for researchers looking to move their existing analytics workloads to private, public and community cloud providers.
You will work with researchers within ELIXIR (the Research Infrastructure for Life Science) to move and support their applications on different cloud providers as part of the EOSC-Life project. You will also work with internal teams to define the use cases and to use technical solutions coming from the Archiver project led by CERN which will be procuring innovative technical solutions from cloud providers to meet the storage needs of ‘big data’ science.
A common theme across all of these science workloads is the need to work with ‘big data’ stored and analysed at scale. You will use our internal cloud infrastructures - the OpenStack based EMBL-EBI Embassy Cloud and Docker Enterprise Edition – and external cloud providers such as AWS, Azure and GCP to achieve this.
You will be expected to work with internal teams and project partners to:
- Assist researchers in porting their workloads to clouds by offering technical guidance & practical assistance in virtualising their workloads;
- Develop a deep understanding of their current service needs and future requirements for cloud infrastructures and communicate this internally within EMBL-EBI, ELIXIR and related projects;
- Identify tools and services that would accelerate uptake and simplify the use of cloud resources to other teams within the IT department for development or deployment;
- Represent the various user needs during technical and strategic discussions around the evolution of EMBL-EBI’s cloud-native services;
- Liaise with cloud providers in the commercial and public e-Infrastructure sectors to see how researchers can best use their services;
- Represent and promote EMBL-EBI in conferences, workshops and meetings.
- Degree level or equivalent qualification/experience in a Computational, Physical or Biological Sciences.
- At least three years or more experience as a user in OpenStack, AWS, GCP, Azure or equivalent cloud management frameworks running virtualised workloads (either in virtual machines or containers).
- Experience of having configured and managed Linux and comparable systems (and their applications) in the cloud so that they meet the needs of scientific applications.
- Working knowledge of data management and transfer technologies such as S3, GridFTP, Aspera among others.
- Experience in communicating and working with expert technical users (e.g. in a science community).
- Excellent communication (verbal & written English), negotiating and presentation skills to operate effectively within international teams.
- Ability to manage, balance and re-prioritise your time over a programme of activity to drive individual tasks to a conclusion.
- Be self-motivated and capable of working both independently and with teams both within and external to EMBL-EBI.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and solve critical issues and have experience of working to deadlines.
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs