|Date Posted||February 5, 2019|
United States - H1B Visa Jobs
Splitwise is looking for an experienced Software Engineer (Backend) to join our growing team. At Splitwise, backend engineers are generalists who work on public-facing features, design and implement the APIs that power our web and mobile apps, and work on important parts of our infrastructure, including database scaling and performance, analytics, operations, and security. You’ll be helping millions and millions of people share expenses with each other and help take the stress out of awkward conversations about money.
We use Ruby on Rails to power our APIs, and run our infrastructure on a mixture of Amazon Web Services and Heroku. We deploy many times per day, building new features while maintaining backwards compatibility with older versions of our app. As a company, we believe in writing code that is reliable and maintainable, and in testing that code (even in production) to make sure we can depend on it for years to come.
This job reports to Splitwise’s co-founder and CTO Ryan. You'll collaborate with other engineers (as well as our product and business team) to implement new features and help Splitwise scale to tens of millions of users. We're currently a small team of about 10 people – you can make a huge difference.
WHAT YOU'LL ACTUALLY DO AT SPLITWISE:
- Build and maintain backend services that are used by millions of people
- Work with the team to plan API and architecture updates to our Ruby on Rails codebase
- Monitor the health of Splitwise in production and make sure your code runs smoothly
- Integrate Splitwise with third parties in ways that delight users
- Support users directly and fix bugs that you find
- Write tests for new updates to make sure they're reliable
THINGS ABOUT YOU:
- You have relevant professional work experience on another large backend system.
- You write clean, understandable code that can be tested and maintained in the future.
- You're familiar with Ruby and/or Rails and happy to grow your Ruby expertise
- You enjoy working in a team, and treat others with empathy and respect.
- You can communicate well about technical issues, both in person and in writing.
- When something goes wrong, you love to figure out what broke.
- You have a 4-year Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent
- You're willing to come join us at our office in Providence, RI. (If you're not from around here, we can help you move!)
- Experiences that are not required but valued: scaling popular consumer-facing web apps, application security, data engineering, site reliability engineering, database administration, work on open source software, past experience with financial technology, Ruby or Rails expertise
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to design systems that are fault-tolerant and secure
- How to build and rebuild features to support millions of additional users
- How to deploy major updates in a large-scale production environment
- How to react when something unexpected happens
- How to make product design decisions through feedback and user testing
- How a small, transparent start-up operates
We are an equal opportunity employer that cares deeply about diversity in tech, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds. We want to build a team at Splitwise that reflects the real world. We hope that team includes you!
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) United States - H1B Visa Jobs