|Date Posted||July 2, 2019|
Canada - Work Permit Jobs
Looking for a super hands on role where you'd be able to give technical direction in a well established company in Canada?
FreshBooks has a big vision. Launched in 2003 but they're just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. A high performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
What's Global Skills Hub? We help amazing developers like you land a job in a Canadian tech company and be approved for visa in two weeks.
Why Canada? Since 2013, the tech sector in Canada has been outperforming all other economic sectors with 71,000 companies across the country. Toronto specifically has been growing faster than Silicon Valley and New York combined in terms of job growth.
How much does it cost? Candidates never have to pay anything. All costs, including immigration fees and legal fees, are paid by the employer.
Learn more about the opportunity below...
The Opportunity - Principal Software Developer (Director level)
What you'll do:
- Collaborate on cross-functional Agile teams working on features for our customers, particularly our Payments features
- Contribute to setting technical and architectural direction for our entire Engineering department
- Research, design and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Learn in-depth details of the current codebase, and map long term improvements
- Be a coach for Developers and an advocate for clean code, good testing practices, and quality software
- Ship your code and enhance our delivery process
- Modernize existing services and help us define, standardize and automate the test of domain boundaries
- Develop your craft, improve your expertise in software development, and raise the level of the teams around you
What you bring:
- At least 13 years of experience in web application development, in an Agile or Lean environment
- Strong experience in one of our core technologies - Python and Ruby on Rails - or a strong track record in C, C++ or Java
- Experience with databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Experience writing and working with REST APIs
- Demonstrated experience coaching and mentoring technical teams, and growing the overall technical maturity of our Engineering organization
- Experience doing the hard bits of Software Engineering -- keeping applications nimble and current all while under heavy usage
- A deep understanding of test-driven (and behavioural test driven) development, and of building substantially complete test code, and not just for the happy path
- Familiarity with continuous integration (or better, continuous delivery) and automated build pipelines
- The ability to balance desire to ship code quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
What you might bring:
We're looking for a variety of talented technical leadership and know that a mix of skills and experience is useful. Even having only a couple of the skills from the list below would be a strong asset.
- Expertise in the core areas of business of FreshBooks (accounting, payments, small business solutions)
- A background in DevOps and service ownership, and a clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto microservices.
- Strong pair programming or mob programming skills, both as a mechanism for producing better code, and for teaching skills
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, or another major cloud provider such as AWS
- Experience with Redis / ElasticSearch & RabbitMQ
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) Canada - Work Permit Jobs