|Location||Hinxton, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||July 2, 2019|
United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated Full-Stack Java Software Engineer to work at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
You will be working on a 3 year project in the Technology Science Integration group led by Steven Newhouse, the Head of Technical Services, on a number of information systems to support a recent award of a £43M, 5 year grant provided by the UKRI’s Strategic Priorities Fund for BioData Infrastructure at EMBL-EBI. The information systems will help us to understand the cost and use of the on and off premise IT infrastructure deployed and used by the teams at EMBL-EBI as part of this award.
Your work will include assessing, developing, integrating and deploying Java web technologies to provide a portal to manage and report on resources requests and utilization of resources. Usage reports will be integrated from on and off site IT systems (e.g. clusters, storage, clouds) attributed to individual users and teams within EMBL-EBI. These usage reports are made available to managers across EMBL-EBI to help assess the allocation and usage of resources, and made available outside of the web portal.
You will be working with members of EMBL-EBI’s Technical Services Cluster to collect requirements from users across EMBL-EBI and then work collaboratively to prioritise and deliver these requirements as part of an agreed roadmap.
You will be expected to:
- Have a bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, software development or have equivalent experience.
- Demonstrate experience in full-stack web applications development (i.e. back-end and front-end tiers, including web-based clients, programmatic access APIs, and data access layers).
- Be experienced in Java technologies and frameworks (e.g. Spring) alongside modern component-based front-end technologies (e.g. Angular).
- Have at least four or more years software development experience in a team environment where you have developed for and supported production systems.
- Be able to work with minimal direction when making technical decisions, but to do so within a team when needed by having excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Have worked in an agile development process (which may include working to tight deadlines) including taking place in daily scrum meetings.
You might also have
You might also have:
- Experience in scripting language such as Perl or Python.
- Worked in an academic or research setting.
- Worked in a user facing role where you have interacted directly with users of the your software.
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs