|Location||London, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||February 17, 2020|
United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs
We're looking for senior software engineers to continue developing and scaling our products and infrastructure. We mainly use Go, but you don't need to have used this previously to succeed here.
Named by the World Economic Forum as one of the world's 30 Technology Pioneers 2016, and one of Gartner's 'Cool Vendors in Life Sciences' 2018, Synthace is completely revolutionising biology in a way that has never been done before!
This is made possible through our revolutionary cloud based platform for designing biological experiments, simulating them, translating instructions for automated lab equipment, and visualising complex data sets from the results. All of this is done by Antha, which is already impacting how scientists work with biology in major companies like Microsoft, BASF, Merck and GSK.
Antha lowers the level of entry for scientists wanting to introduce automation to their work, while allowing specialist technicians to get even more out of the existing equipment in the labs. It is directly contributing to faster, more efficient research into hard to cure diseases such as Cancer.
If social impact is important to you, it doesn't get much better than this.
The team and the role:
You'll be working within a tight-knit, friendly and collaborative development team on exciting projects with plenty of technical challenges to get your teeth into.
You won't find any micro-management here - we're all about trust, enablement and personal ownership. We give you space and autonomy to solve complex problems, while offering support if/when needed.
We have a clear company vision, and we're building a strategy and roadmap to go around this. Everyone knows how their work directly impacts the goals we're working towards, and everyone's voice is heard.
Followers of best practice will fit in well, but pragmatism is key. We generally take the approach of using the right tool for the job rather than being fixed to any one particular way of doing things.
Our main stack is Go, GCP, Kubernetes and GraphQL, but you don't necessarily need to have deep experience with these - we're looking for adaptable coders who are curious and who are problem solvers first and foremost.
When it comes to personal development and progression, we operate a parallel track meaning that 'Senior' doesn't have to mean 'people management'. We love promoting from within, and if you do want to learn leadership skills we can support you. However, you have a choice and if your preference is to stay hands-on, you can become a senior 'individual contributor' and help to lead on technical decisions and direction.
If you have a depth of experience writing production level code in any mainstream language (more than one is even better), and get excited by the prospect of solving some seriously interesting and complex technical problems, get in touch!
What you could be working on (we have a range of projects at any one time):
- Building infrastructure
- Developing new interfaces, drivers, representations and output processing for various robots, incubators and sophisticated laboratory equipment
- Contributing to the implementation of the generic driver and data processing framework
- Designing, building, testing, and maintaining APIs and services
- Integrating and deploying custom and off-the-shelf software components
- Managing deadlines and priorities in a dynamic environment that blends software and wet-lab development
- Primarily, this is the sort of challenge that will suit you if you enjoy solving hard technical problems and you have a broad range of experience as a software engineer - you've probably worked in different sectors, or had to adapt to different types of challenges
- As a Senior Engineer, you should have experience designing and architecting solutions as well as being an extremely competent coder
- You appreciate clean, well designed models, you know what it takes to build robust, reliable, resilient systems, and you take professional pride in building hardened applications
- You'll need to be seriously well versed in at least one mainstream programming language (ideally more) such as Go (ideally), Java, C, C++, Rust, etc.
- You'll need to be willing to learn Go (as that's what we're mainly working in) and master our current technology stack, which includes in different areas: Kubernetes, Google Cloud, Azure, Docker, GraphQL
- Having a strong understanding of data structures and algorithms is extremely useful
- You'll also benefit from having experience with Unix development environments, a working knowledge of common network protocols (HTTP, TLS, GRPC), and a working knowledge of HA and distributed systems
- You enjoy working in collaborative teams and sharing knowledge - there are no lone wolves here
- Excellent communication skills are also a must - we move fast but we talk to each other to make sure we don't break things
Why join Synthace:
- Work with genuinely extraordinary people
- Open, collaborative, and friendly culture
- Challenging, groundbreaking and exciting work
- Chance to be a part of the 'fourth industrial revolution', helping us to create tools and systems that allow scientists to do things like cure Cancer faster!
Salary: £80k-120k + equity, depending on experience
Location: West London
Open to assisting the right candidate with the following Visa(s) / Work Permit(s)
1) United Kingdom - Tier 1 Visa Jobs