Hungary Visa Guide

Hungary is a hidden gem in Europe for expats. It ranks number eleven in the world for expats, outranking many of the typically popular countries! If you haven’t considered it yet, Hungary may hold the foreign experience and lifestyle you’re looking for.

Hungary has also secured their place on the world’s tech map with their own startup scene growing. Startups like Prezi and Stockfresh have helped gain international attention and inspire other startups to set up camp in Hungary. The government is backing startup incubators and programs to help grow the industry as well. There are plenty of opportunities emerging in Hungary for foreign professionals like you.

Below we’ve outlined a few of the top options for visas so you can get an idea of what works best for you!

General Work Visa:

This visa is like your work permit and residence visa rolled into one. You will need to have a contract offered to you before beginning the process. To apply, you will need to first get a work permit from the Employment Agency of where you’ve found your job. Your employer will submit the application for this in Hungary and you will be sent your permit once approved. Then you can apply for your visa!

Here’s the process:

  1. Your employer submits an application to the Employment Agency
  2. You receive your work permit
  3. You submit the application and accompanying documents (below) to your local embassy or consulate
  4. Your permit will be mailed to you and you may make travel plans


What you need to submit:

  • Application form
  • Your employment contract
  • Your work permit obtained through your employer
  • Payment of fee – 60 euros
  • Your bank statements
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Valid passport copy
  • Proof of sufficient funds for ticket out


Once submitted, you and your employer will be notified and mailed your permit when it has been processed and approved. The average processing time is less than two months!


Self Employment Visa:

Hungary is friendly to freelancers and entrepreneurs! The self employment visa is for anyone wanting to reside in Hungary without having a work contract and earn income from elsewhere. This means freelancers, property managers, investors, business founders, etc. First you must get a residence permit for gainful employment. You must apply for this visa in person at an embassy.  


Here’s the process:

  • Apply for a residence permit with the purpose of employment at your local embassy (submit documents and application below). This will take less than 21 days.
  • You will be mailed your residence permit
  • You may travel to Hungary.
  • Next, you need to register with the Central Office for Administrative and Electronic Public Services as a self-employed entrepreneur.


The processing for part one, obtaining a residence permit, will take less than a month. Then you can travel and plan to complete the rest of the process in Hungary at the required offices. Below are the lists for the documents you need for both the residence permit and the self employment visa.


Documents for the residence permit:

  • Application form
  • Payment of fee – 60 euros
  • A business plan
  • Your bank statements
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Valid passport copy


This residence visa for self employment purposes is valid for three years and is renewable for three years at a time! You must then register as an entrepreneur.


Documents to register as a entrepreneur:

  • Your company’s incorporation papers
  • Certificate issued by the Court of Registration
  • Your business plan and any financial documentation
  • Certification of usefulness of your business
  • Documents detailing the scope and duration of your work along with any staff involved
  • A police record
  • Proof of your qualifications (work experience and education)

Once you have both your residence permit and you are registered to work legally as an entrepreneur, you will be able to begin your new operation in Hungary!

Hungary is quite friendly to all those who wish to work freelance, start their own business, or work for one of the many new companies in Hungary. If you’re looking for stable employment to help you with the immigration process, you can search for companies looking for foreign professionals here.


Work visa application form

Self employment residence application

Hungary Embassies


  1. Dr. subhash Ragahavan

    Hi Sophia Ellis,how are you? I’m Dr Subhash Ragahavan. I have overseas education company and job requirements agency also in India. I want talk to you something directly.

  2. Dear,
    I’m interested for sole proprietor of the Enterprise in hungry.please inform me as soon as possible.
    Shamim Ahmed

Write your comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.