Known for it’s overall friendly demeanor and progressive society, Sweden is a popular travel, work, and relocation destination for those in and out of Europe. It has a really logical and open policy for work and long term residency. All work permits also allow your family to come along. If you’re from the EU, you are able to live and work here without a work permit. If you’re not, Sweden is a great option for experienced professionals wanting a new family experience. Stockholm boasts a growing tech scene, opening the door to more necessary foreign talent.
If you’re thinking about a new, interesting European adventure, here are the options for you to work and live in beautiful Sweden:
Work Permits and Visas for all non-EU prospective residents:
If you’re coming into Sweden from elsewhere, your first step is to get a work permit. You will need to look for a sponsoring company.
Here are the qualifications:
- Your job offer must have been looking in the EU for at least 10 days (to give EU priority).
- The terms of your employment match Swedish regulation
- You job must pay you at least 13,000 SEK a month
Here is the process:
- Get your employment offer
- Submit your application online or at an embassy
- Wait for a decision
- Submit information for your visa and residence card!
Here are the documents of your application:
- A completed application form
- All pages of your passport
- Your offer of employment
- Your application fee – between 1,000 and 2,000 SEK
All children under or family members financially dependent on you may join you with their own visa applications! You may also apply for an extension at the end of your stay.
Working Holiday Visa:
If you’re from certain countries, you can apply for something much more temporary and fun! A working holiday visa allows you to travel and make money to travel for a year in Sweden without a set employment contract.
Those from Australia, Canada, Chile, New Zealand, or South Korea from age 18-30 are welcome to apply.
Here’s what you need to apply:
- A valid passport
- At least 15,000 SEK to support yourself
- Enough money or a pre-paid for return ticket
- A health insurance policy (Australia not included)
- 1000 SEK for the fee
You will apply online!
Overall, the process and types of visas for Sweden are some of the most simple in Europe. As always, it is recommended that you search for a job before beginning the process, as it is easier and more helpful to have employment taken care of from the start! Search VisaOk for companies with new positions open looking to sponsor now!